Thursday, 11 December 2008

NBW FORUM

I am sure somewhere in the past Tom Crossley told me "Don't do forums". Now I see that NBW is to have its own. Originally only specially invited members, the great and the good of boating. were allowed to participate. Now I read "Forum has gone through its technical trial, it will be open to the public tomorrow—Friday." (that's my bold).
NBW says "This is by no means in opposition to any established forum, but one that will be better regulated and will allow readers to comment on narrowboatworld's content and have contact with its contributors." (that's my bold).
The most popular Canal Forum at this time is owned by a policeman (who is very mindful of the impact his forum could have on his career) and has some very diligent moderators. Better 'regulation' means if the mods don't like what you say it comes off. We already have contact worthiness contributors and can comment on NBW content so what are they offering us?
Further NBW says "But please be aware that though controversy will of course be allowed, controversy will of course be allowed (I said that bit twice because they did) as it is in narrow boatworld itself, personal attacks, bad language and copyright material will not. There will not however be pages of unenforceable rules and regulations, in fact except for the three above there are no rules whatsoever". (that's my bold again).
BS I say, time will tell.
I wonder how long it will be before the Continuous Cruising thread is blocked.

2 comments:

Heth said...

At least it will be regulated to some degree Maffi, I tried uk.rec.waterways.group, it's part of google groups, (groups.google.com), & it's absolutely disgusting. There's more nutters on there using the fowlest language & abuse than true boaters talking about boating. There were many lewd comments - so bad that (as a woman) it was insulting & even shocking to read. Just shows there's some real sad people out there craving for attention of the wrong kind. I complained to Google - Some regulation please? Letting their "good name" down? I got no replies (predictable) & now I'm stuck with abbreviated versions of each days posts landing in my junk email. I've tried unsubscribing a million times - doesn't work, & blocking the domain in Win Live Mail doesn't work either (does with all other blocked items). So I get a daily "report" which if I open is full of swear words & disgusting stuff & believe me I'm no prude!! It was v disappointing to find that such a massive org as Google couldn't regulate newsgroups / forums.
I learned my lesson & now only use Canal World Discussion Forums, that's a good 'un.

Heather

Heth said...

At least it will be regulated to some degree Maffi, I tried uk.rec.waterways.group, it's part of google groups, (groups.google.com), & it's absolutely disgusting. There's more nutters on there using the fowlest language & abuse than true boaters talking about boating. There were many lewd comments - so bad that (as a woman) it was insulting & even shocking to read. Just shows there's some real sad people out there craving for attention of the wrong kind. I complained to Google - Some regulation please? Letting their "good name" down? I got no replies (predictable) & now I'm stuck with abbreviated versions of each days posts landing in my junk email. I've tried unsubscribing a million times - doesn't work, & blocking the domain in Win Live Mail doesn't work either (does with all other blocked items). So I get a daily "report" which if I open is full of swear words & disgusting stuff & believe me I'm no prude!! It was v disappointing to find that such a massive org as Google couldn't regulate it's own newsgroups / forums.
I learned my lesson & now only use Canal World Discussion Forums, that's a good 'un.

Heather