Monday, 27 July 2009

Community

One of the biggest social problems we have today is lack of community.The type of community we had before WW2 where every everyone looked after everyone else. Children were safe (relatively) and people would band together to help out a sick neighbour.

One good thing about boating is that the community that existed 'once upon a time' in the social strata generally does still exist now.

Not only are people asking after me since my 'accident' but they are only too keen to help. Monday Martin nb ULYSSES took me to the Trauma Unit, Tuesday Lillian nb CALM DOWN bought me lunch then went to the corner shop for vitals (newspaper & Chocie).

Dusty the coal man came after lunch seeking payment for the diesel I had last week he didn't bat an eyelid when I asked him to take me to the Boat Inn to use their facilities, he even bought me a pint to ease the pain. After that he took me into town to the bank to fetch his 'dues' While in town he got his hair cut and then waited while I got mine done. How cool is that?

Again on Wednesday Lillian came for a vitals run, then later she did bring me lunch again but unfortunately I wasn't in, simply because Tim nb JENNY ROSE and also of Annie's Tea Shop came and collected me to take me to the tea shop mainly so I could use the lavatorial facilities and of course munch cake.

On his way to the pub PJ comes over to take me there if I want to go (he moors in Abingdon so doesn't drink).

There are those, who when I respond to their, "What have you done", with "Ruptured Achilles Tendon" come back with "Ooooo you don't want to do that it's painful", like I need telling. But all in all the community treats me good just like they might have done 60 years ago and for this I am very grateful.

Mortimer Bones of course is an absolute angel, always there, always helping, always my best friend.

3 comments:

Halfie said...

Hello Maffi, Jan and I would like to add our best wishes for a speedy recovery. May all facilities be up and running very soon!

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser http://nbharnser.blogspot.com said...

Did you manage to get to work today?

Anonymous said...

Hope you heal up quickly.
Sue1946