Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Brighton University

This morning I got a response from Brighton University:-

Dear Maffi,

We can advise that we experienced a temporary security issue with Mr Shepherd's account; the matter was resolved promptly on Monday morning and you are unlikely to receive any further communication from him.

Fine, but 'temporary security issues' are bought about by disregard of the system which I suspect Mr Shepherd (David Stephens) didn't think about while surfing and dropping his email address where he shouldn't.

The good thing is they dealt with it quickly, but I do think their use of a semi-colon is suspect.

6 comments:

MortimerBones said...

perhaps you should consider the same for your email. I keep getting spam... maybe you should be more careful about where you leave your email address!

Maffi said...

Absolutely correct! Thought I havent left my email address any where for some time. However I think there is a difference between a cheap hotmail private address and a University address.

Area D said...

I think you are right; the semi-colon is for joining two short sentences that are closely related; the two phrases in the email from Brighton are too long to join with a semi-colon. I've got a copy of Lynn Truss's book somewhere but I can't find it at the moment to look it up.

Mark said...

The two sentences probably just do justify the use of a semi-colon; the sentences do not need to be short. It's not particularly attractive with longer sentences, but not grammatically incorrect either.

Maffi said...

I can't believe you took that seriously enough to comment on it. It was very tongue-in-cheek.

Mark said...

And......Birmingham has banned the apostrophe, it seems!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4388343/Apostrophes-abolished-by-council.html#