Monday, 5 October 2009

Oh no!

I am really annoyed apparently there are sites you can visit where you can find out who has blocked you on MSN. Conversely people can find out who of their contacts has them blocked.
This must surely be an invasion of privacy. I choose who I want to speak to on MSN. There may be many reasons why we don't want someone to know we are on line. It cannot be fair that decisions we make about our lives are broadcast to every one irrespective of why we make those decisions. It's our choice and we shouldn't have to justify it to anyone.

If we come across one of these sites we should all write to the sites and our MP's to make a formal complaint.

7 comments:

Paul (form Waterway Routes) said...

You'd be better complaining to the Inforamtion Commissioner who enforces the Data Protection Act which already forbids this.

You MP has already done their stuff by passing the Act, so don't compain to them.

Let us know the outcome of your complaint to the Information Comissioner

Martin said...

I came across one such site recently, but concluded that whether or not it does-what-it-says-on-the-tin (I didn't go far enough to find out but I suspect not), it was in fact an attempt to get you to reveal your MSN username & password!

Bones said...

surely it doesn't matter. I know you block me, but that is because you are busy or don't want to talk to me. Whats wrong with that? Why would you mind if someone knows you have them blocked? It's just one of those things.

Maffi said...

The point is if MSN says I am ofline that is all a contact needs to know. It is not for some smart ass to design a programme to say otherwise it is actally illegal! DPA and alll that!

Bones said...

it is a transparant society we live in. The world is watching, all the time.

Martin said...

I think the story of the 'phished' Hotmail and Google accounts has been sufficiently aired for all to see.

Maffi said...

Yeah probably . . . .but