Tuesday, 27 October 2009

St Mary Magdalene, Boveney

Sunday I moored up on public moorings by the Army Rowing Club which is just above Boveney Lock. Just back from the towpath is a small a church St Mary Magdalene, Boveney.

The church is owned by, would you believe, The Friends of Friendless Churches who bought it in 1983. A church has been on the site in one way or another since before the Norman conquests.

The earliest part of this building is circa 12 century. Its a strange looking building, of Chalk, Brick, Flint and Wood with a red tiled roof.

25-10 138 It is well known as an example of Galletting. Galletting is the hammering of slivers of flint in between the building blocks.This has quite a decorative effect

25-10 142 The doors as you can see need a whole lot of TLC to stop the rot! 25-10 14725-10 145

This window has a replacement fibre glass panel fitted as have all the windows. The bell tower, if that is what it is, looks in remarkable condition. It must be a new piece of renovation25-10 144 25-10 139

25-10 14625-10 141

If you want to see around inside you only have to ask the Lock keeper for the key. What’s inside I don’t know I didn’t look. I got some idea about the lock being too far away, but apparently it isn’t .

5 comments:

Bones said...

gosh, I forgot about that little church! It is gorgeous isn't it!

Anonymous said...

Whats a look keeper

Maffi said...

A look keeper is someone that keeps every ones looks. Loose yours did you? Your look keeper should be able to replace them coz he keeps copies.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser http://nbharnser.blogspot.com said...

Last time we were that way the church was shrouded in scaffolding doing the tower.
I didn't realise it was the Army Rowing Club. I like mooring there.

Maffi said...

I assume it was the Army Rowing Club there was a vehicle there that said as much. In the absense of other evidence to the contrary I went with what I could see.