Saturday, 30 April 2011

Fishing

There is rather a large hole where I am moored just at the edge of Shipton Bridge. It is large enough to hurt someone should they not notice it is there and after all why should they. So I set about finding a solution. The problem is the bank is being washed away underneath. Every once in a while BW arrive and insert some ballast and it all looks good for another few months. What is really needed is a digger and about 10 tons of concrete. Faffing about is not the answer. The whole bank at this point is moving towards the canal and will, in the fullness of time I feel sure, fall in. Anyway I set about finding something with which to fill it. I tried ash from the fire, not good so I tried fishing for silt off the bed of the canal (with a bucket). There isn’t much, but I put a bucket and a half into the hole to no avail. I did fish out a kiddies bicycle in the process.

28042011357

However hard I tried it would not fill the hole!

4 comments:

Captain Ahab said...

Didn't the Beatles tell us that there were 3000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire? If so you are lucky to have just the one!!!!

Maffi said...

Two things, first there were "4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire". Second this hole was just one of many.

Wiggins said...

On the other hand, should you find a child's-bicycle-shaped hole, you now have the perfect plug.

Heth said...

Well done, it'll probably last longer than a BW cut & paste jobby...

You might've seen the photos I posted at Easter of the beginnings of bank erosion along with pilings full of holes. Forget the mastick gun - too late. I even got a comment on the blog from BW North saying they were aware of the problem but hadn't got the funds to deal with it... Thing is it won't be long before it'll cost 10 times as much to repair - how sad..
On a lighter note, well there has to be one, don't trip over the bike...

H