Wednesday, 22 June 2011

WTF!!!

QUIET!
It is not difficult to understand. There are signs all over the place.

'THE REFERENCE LIBRARY IS A SILENT AREA'

'RESPECT YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS RIGHT TO WORK IN SILENCE'

'NO FOOD AND DRINK'

'SWITCH OFF YOUR MOBILE PHONE'


The one sign they didn't put up was the one that says
DO NOT BRING
THE BIGGEST STAPLER YOU CAN FIND
INTO THE LIBRARY TO USE!!!

Ca-CHUNK!!!
What the hell was she thinking?
Ca-CHUNK!!!
What is such a person doing at college anyway?
Ca-CHUNK!!!
She is obviously too stupid for anything that involves being sat near me!
Ca-CHUNK!!!
Will you be QUIET!!!

And then some girl came in and sat next to me with a cup of coffee.
"You are not supposed to bring food and drink into the library," I said pointing at the notice that was right in front of her workstation
"Oh I always do," she said.
This college is wasted on some people.

8 comments:

Kevin said...

Hi Maffi,
I know that you've been having problems with some lowlife scum helping themselves to your property, but nicking your boat from the picture at the top of the page is well beyond the pail!!! I hope you get it back soon;)
Kevin

Maffi said...

I thought I was due a change. Nice pic innit.

The Grumpy Porter said...

A very nice picture, reflective in its own way

Maffi said...

I rather thought so, I assume you mean the lift bridge?

The Grumpy Porter said...

Yes, but it also has a peaceful quality about it

Maffi said...

It has unlike the quiet room at Ruskin!

Thrupp is wonderful place you might like it.

Allan said...

Yes it is nice pic but were are the COMMENTS about CA-CHUNK!!! lol

Jaqueline Biggs said...

We face the same issues here in the library. It infuriates me as I go to the library for the books but also for the quiet in which to peruse the book shelves, read an article, and savor the atmosphere.

In this country it is folks from other parts of the non-English cultural world and those of GenX who are the worst offenders--perhaps they didn't grow up with the privilege of libraries and were not taught common library ettiquette. They certainly are not teaching their children about it.

When I spoke to the librarian about the issue I was told librarians are not arbiters of the library patron's manners or behavior unless someone is threatening harm. They want the library to be an enjoyable place for everyone!

The librarian certainly served as such in my youth. I was taught proper library ettiquette with my first card at age 5. I no longer enjoy loitering at the local library--too damn noisy!!