Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Away day

So after a false start I eventually got off on my epic adventure. At Pigeons Lock I met up with Dan Wood (nb Woodpecker) On to the quarry and there was Norman (nb Freespirit)  enjoying the quiet. This is Mark (nb Woodruff) ‘squeal piggy, squeal!’

DSCF0984

I had lunch with Mark and Sarah and then another Mark turned up (nb Dusty). He came to chat and make important deliveries. Milly M now has coal.DSCF0988I shall miss the merry band of boating nutters that are to be found in these parts.

The water levels are down all along the canal but for some reason the pound between Northbrook Lock and Dashwood’s Lock is the lowest. So shallow it was only possible to crawl along bouncing off the bottom. We moored up for the night at Lower Heyford.

Had a pint or two in the Bell it seems the price of Guinness starts to fall even before you get out of Oxford.

7 comments:

Captain Ahab said...

Maffi
I will keep an eye on your progress - we must meet up when you reach the Midlands.
Capt A

Deb (Wellington, NZ) said...

We encountered the same lack of water between Northbrook and Dashwoods Locks when we went through in late June - the day after we met you in fact Maffi.
We left the old quarry wharf earlyish in the morning and found the northbound boat ahead of us sitting in the bottom of Northbrook Lock and no water in the pound above. Further investigation found one southbound boat stuck at bridge 210 and another on the bottom cill at Dashwoods Lock.
British Waterways, to their credit, turned up very quickly but by the time we had let through enough water to flush the boat out of Dashwoods Lock and to let us all crawl and scrape through the pound, half the morning had gone.
Not that this bothered me - my crew had left me with the boat and while they were tearing backwards and forwards along the towpath and working locks and pulling ropes, I was picking wildflowers and enjoying the sunshine and the scenery.

deb

Maffi said...

Capt A which part of the canal is nearest?

Hello Deb

Nice to hear from you again. It's not quite that bad but considering BW said there wasnt now a problem I am surprised.

MortimerBones said...

isn't that where the hole in the canal is?

Maffi said...

Probably.

Kevin said...

MAFFI, henceforth to be known as MOMI (Maffi On the Move Init!) LOL
Hope you enjoy your travels Maffi, let me know when you are approaching the Shardlow end of the Trent & Mersey, a pint awaits you in Derbyshire :)
Cheers, Kevin

Maffi said...

I will have to start making a map.