Saturday, 12 November 2011

Poppies Julie Hutchins/Steve Russell

My friend let me have some of his wife’s poetry to set to music. I added some words and came up with a suitable chord sequence. I thought there were more verses but this is all I could find. I am sure I wrote the chorus and one of the other verses. I shall have to look harder.

No poppies grow in English fields
at this time of year.
Though poppies bloom in every street
... like magic they appear.
For we that live are proud to give
a sigh for those that died.
And brought us loneliness and grief
yet filled our hearts with pride.

Those gallant ones who fought and fell,
to this day we remember well.
Those gallant ones who fought and fell,
to this day we remember well.

E  D  A  E  A A 

E  A  D  E  A  A 

A        A+D  D        Dsus9  D   A

No comments: