Sunday, 15 January 2012

London Boaters verses BW

LONDON BOATERS ‘A vibrant community of people who live on boats in London, mostly without a permanent mooring.’ Or so it says at their Twitter profile. The without a permanent mooring means they are Continuous Cruisers. So you will forgive me if  I don’t see the problem with BW asking them not to inhabit particular parts of the canal/river for a specified period of time, as long as it is for a ‘bona-fide’ reason. That period can be managed for the time they need to be away from a particular area so it shouldn’t really cause much, if any, inconvenience. I don’t see what their argument is, but we know it is not as simple as that. Life never is.

However we all pay to travel the whole system. That system baring maintenance is supposed to be open to all 365 days of the year. It should not be closed to traffic for specific periods so that BW can charge a friggin gold mine for a few boaters who want to see the Olympics and stay on their boat. Is it that people with money are too posh to moor alongside/near ‘ordinary’ boaters. They may think that, but let me tell you the reverse is often true.

So BW and the powers that be start talking about security. If security is a problem  a simple profiling exercise would show that boaters are are generally diamond geezers and hardly likely to lob an RPG round or SAM 7 missile into the Olympic Stadium. If boaters are a security risk then so is any one living in the vicinity. Why haven’t the powers that be started emptying the people from the local houses. You can get a better aim from an upstairs bedroom window

If I don’t come back here to work this summer I will  be out and about on the water. I haven’t been to London yet I might like to go, but no those who are normally in the Olympic vicinity will be shoved off to where ever they can get a mooring and certainly, for the likes of me, there wont be a mooring to be had east of Uxbridge. In this case BW are not only pissing on the LONDON BOATERS, but every other boater that wants to visit London this year. “Well you can go another year,” I hear you say. We might not be here next year. I could contract veils disease tomorrow and be dead by the end of the week.

British Waterways, can I just reiterate, the waterways belong to the people, all of the people. To prevent some people using it because others will pay squillions is totally unfair. It smacks of apartheid, excluding one section of society in favour of another. It may have escaped your notice we boaters are people, we have rights. You are behaving like fascists. If you want a fight I am sure you will get one, this country is good at sorting out fascists.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice you say you haven't been to London yet. When you have you will realise that the visitor moorings east of Paddington Basin are permanently occupied by continuous cruisers who are in fact continuous moorers who are not prepared to stick to the rules. They should not be surprised if they receive from BW the contempt that they themselves heap on the rest of the boating community.

Eric Ranshaw
NB Doha

Maffi said...

Pictures would be nice, Eric

Anonymous said...

This country sorting out fascists not anymore.Have you never of human rights?jeff

Maffi said...

Human rights come with responsibility.

Kevin Ronnie said...

This is an emotive subject & I can see aspects from both sides of the argument. However, those that moor for months on end in London should consider at least playing the system a bit better rather than showing blatant contempt for any regulation etc.. To be flipant, walking past Scotland Yard waving an AK47 above your head is likely to cause raised eyebrows, even if you have a license for it.

grey wolf said...

I think you are correct freedom of navigation is part of the agreement in the license fee.I cannot confess to having no desire myself to visit such a horrid place but the same rules should apply to all boaters rich or poor.

Anonymous said...

HUMAN RIGHTS?!! And this from the arse that paid for his boat by working in Saudi Arabia, for the military.

Maffi said...

I dont like posting anonymous comments because they are usually posted by ill informed wankers like the one above. Who ever you are, you tosser, understand this; I bought my boat by selling my house which I bought while working in this country for our military. 25 years I served, how long did you serve? Yes I did work in Saudi Arabia where I experienced abuse of my human rights, racism and terrorist activity close up. Don't you dare critisise me. You aint even in the same race. Dont come here again until you have stopped playing with your todger.

Maffi said...

I am sure you will all understand the this litte Mr Annonymous just pushed the wrong ill informed button.