Sunday, 13 January 2013

Macclesfield: The Gurnett

Last night after a long walk into town I returned to the Gurnett and had a drink at the Old Kings Head. The locals are very friendly. I found out a few things about the canal and the surrounding area. Little gems like this which was attached to a cottage that I can see from my window. DSCF6845
I also had the good fortune to meet a young man name by the name of Roger Dibnah who is so like his father. The old adage “the apple doesn't fall far from the tree,” definitely applies here. I was invited to go along and see some steam engines this morning but unfortunately was unable to find the location, probably due to the late hour that directions were given and of course the quantity of Guinness imbibed.

I am having a day off today!

4 comments:

eeyore said...

I do hope you find the steam engines. Absolutely nothing smells like steam coal, oil and hot pipework.

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping your'e keeping a close eye on the weather forecasts?
Sue

Wozie said...

Sounds like your trip up the Macclesfield Canal is turning out to be a very interesting experience all round Maffi.
It is snowing here near Rugby at the moment.
Take care now and enjoy your day off. nb Oakfield.

Jaqueline Biggs said...

Glad you are enjoying your trip up the Maccie. It is good to see new canals and acquaint one's self with fans on other parts of the waterways. (If they aren't fans when you meet them I'm sure they will be after you've hoisted a pint with them.)
Stay warm and dry,
Jaq