Monday, 28 October 2013

Remembering……

I was at my mother house less than two weeks ago. For that I am grateful. How ever I did not visit often enough and for that I am repentant. Mums memory was not as good as it once was. She asked me a number of times if I was older than Stephen (me). She wanted to keep Molly the Wonder and kept feeding her chocolate biscuits despite my telling her not to. Mothers!  Molly of course wanted to keep her two cats ….in her tummy. Mum didn’t really like the picture I posted before, but as I said to her it was the nicest picture I had seen of her for a long time.

So now the change begins, learning to live without her. My mother lived in her house for 63 years. Shortly after arriving there I was born. . . . in the living room. There was never any way she was ever going to leave, the house had far too many memories for her and for that matter me as well.

I have memories of things that happened there. I actually have memories of sleeping in a drop side cot and sitting in a high chair. I remember both my mother and father teaching me to read (that was before I ever went to school). I recall my father teaching me to ride a bicycle and a warm cuddle form Mum when I fell I cut my knee. Being knocked over by a motor cycle at the end of our road when I was 3/4 years old. I remember Mum’s concern when she said to the dentist ‘I thought you said it wouldn’t hurt him’ and the dentists calm reply, ‘Mother we haven't touched him yet’.

I remember many, many things most of which have enriched my life. I do remember Mum and Dad always did their best for us.

I suppose most of all I remember a mothers love, for which there is no substitute.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the good memories Maffi and the cherished times you've had. Only words I know but heartfelt non the less
Deepest condolences for your loss.
Chris

Neil Corbett said...

What a good job you visited her recently!! You would feel far worse now if you hadn't. It's a sad time but you have good memories.
Kath (nb Herbie)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Oh Maffi, you made me cry with your memories of being with your wonderful parents especially your mum. Both of us feel for your loss and our hearts go out to you.
Irene & Ian
Xxx

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your recent loss only been following your blog since last week.

Great memory's to keep forever.

Hope to meet you on the canal Robert

The Wind in the Willows.....

Nev Wells said...

Maffi,

We all have different ways to deal with such sad loss, I know you will find your way. I am sorry you have lost your mum, I lost my dad when both he and I were too young to have lots of memories, but we have some and most days i think of him.

Linking the comment to my meeting with you last year it was the pub where my dad was at his most relaxed (obviously !) a few weeks ago I was walking Leia and we called into the Swan and had a pint and I just sat and remembered, sorry to hijack your comments but it has made me think again about my dad so thank you for sharing a most personal of moments, take care Nev

Carol said...

A sad time Maffi, our thoughts are with you just now.
Carol and George

Tom and Jan said...

Maffi We're glad you have many fond memories of a loving mum.

Arphamoe (Dabchick) said...

Now I understand the significance of your boat's name!

Philip Chota Memsahib ll said...

Maffi
How wonderful that you had seen her just a few days before.
I was not too good at visiting my parents but was comforted that I saw them both within three days of their demise
However, no matter how old you are it's sad becoming an orphan!
Not a bad innings though
Sympathy
Philip

nb piston broke said...

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.
Lynne and Paul
(nb piston broke)

Geoff and Mags said...

It makes you realise you should never put anything off. Thinking of you. Keep well.

Anonymous said...

So sorry Maffi. Mums are great aren't they and our fortunately memories live forever!

Paula X

Adrian said...

Dear Maffi, I found your your blog entry very moving.

A couple of years ago I was sitting with my Mum in Annie's Tea Room at Thrupp when you came in and sat down at the next table.

We were talking about renaming my boat and Mum said, "You could always call it after me.".

Rather indignantly I exclaimed, "Who would name a boat after his mother?" to which you replied, "Well, I did!"

So I am saddened to hear that your Mum has just passed away and I offer you my sincere condolences.

MortimerBones said...

:,-(

Malcolm said...

Hi Maffi

Just catching up with your blog since being away.

So sorry to hear about your Mum. You may remember I lost my Mum last year so I know how you must be feeling.

Remember the good times and she'll always bring a smile to your face.

Malcolm

Del and Al said...

So sorry Maffi, but what lovely memories of a loving Mum. Thinking of you and hope to have a proper catch up soon x