Tuesday, 8 October 2013

The Intrepid Explorer

I woke this morning early. After brekkers we, me and Molly, went for a walk. We found the new footbridge over the railway. To say it was designed in a hurry would be an understatement. It is absolutely abysmal. There are odd bits of scaffold used as trunking for 6 amp 3 core domestic cable where the proper duct has run out. The mounting for the proper ducting is over engineered and poorly put together. Who ever did that job should be fired.

And relax . . . . we set off for Reading with my first bag of rubbish on the roof. We got waylaid by an island that needed investigating there are several but we have time constraints. I filled up with diesel at Caversham. At Tesco's I watched a 40 footer with a 70 foot brain moored right in the middle of a big space. I was OK but the Dutch Barge that was following him was not a happy bunny.

I moved on to the K&A and moored at Blake’s Wharf to visit Homebase. Not sure about wood for the book case so left without it. Onward we go!

Back on to the Thames and headed for Sonning Lock. A few miles past Sonning I came to an Ait (The Lynch) that needed a moorer for the night so I volunteered. I had my dinner and set a camp fire and played my guitar. This is riveting stuff isn't it. Then I tried to set fire to the boat. There are many things you do not do with a boat. One of them, as I found out, is do not fill your bucket with the embers of your camp fire and take the bucket on board to put the embers in the Squirrel. 1. It’s very smoky. 2. It sets the smoke alarm off at a time when you really need to concentrate on putting the embers in the Squirrel. 3. The bucket gets very hot.

Molly looked at me like I was some kind of idiot and I don't blame her. If you know me you will know I was not wearing my fire fighting suit or anything else for that matter, but let’s not dwell on that.

It’s very quiet here apart from the knocking on the roof. Silly place to park really, under a conker tree. I never learn. Nite!

6 comments:

Neil Corbett said...

:-)
Kath (nb Herbie)

Ken and Sheena said...

Hi Maffi. Nice to see you today and Molly today. You don't state where you're going on your journey. But I hope it's a good and safe one. Regards...

Ken and Sheena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken and Sheena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maffi said...

I am making the assumption that Ken and Sheena were so excited at seeing the Maffster that they trembled on the send key.

Ken and Sheena said...

LOL... Sorry Maffi. Slow connection.....