Saturday, 14 December 2013

Bookshelves

Having amassed a large number of books on the boat, and all on shelves on the heavy side of the boat, I decided it was time to put in some bookshelves on the light side of the boat and correct my trim problems. I could have changed them in the front room and put them on the port side, but the front end of my boat seems to be lower than it should be so putting the shelves on the port side in the bedroom seemed the logical place. This of course gives me more room in the saloon making it easier to clean.DSCF9895I was only ever going to get two rows of books in due to the fin-rad I have on the floor. To get the most storage I went for the longest shelves I could. I wanted chunky shelves so I used decking boards, which I managed to get for £15. A bit of cutting to allow the uprights to be shaped around the fin-rad and a few halving joints and I have bookshelf for most of my books. Which has balanced up the boat considerably.

DSCF9901There is still ample room to walk through the bedroom and of course you get to pick up a book on the way through to sit on the Dunny!

I still have books in cupboards elsewhere but this was a big ballast move and gives the lie to the adage you will never use that space.

5 comments:

MortimerBones said...

Fantastic!!! Now some end stops....

The cleaning bit made me laugh! :-)

Maffi said...

Oi!

Maffi said...

There is one end stop. But I have a grand idea!

Anonymous said...

handy for your brew when reading in bed too!

Candy

Maffi said...

Only waited 7 tears for that