Thursday, 5 December 2013

Leaving the tip. (Nuneaton)

Well I left Nuneaton this morning. My cherished memory will be the chap from Star Line who disposed of a 10 litre container of used engine oil I found floating in the canal no questions asked. My un-cherished memory will be the sight of disposable nappies floating in the canal.

Before I set off I went into town to post some stuff and when I returned I collected another 2 bags of rubbish. I collected more on the way and by the time I got to the disposal station at Atherstone top lock I filled one dumpster. 12 bags of rubbish (wheelie bin bags), one flat wheel barrow, one broken deckchair, half a clothes airer. This of course doesn’t include the bits of wood I rescued for the fire

On the top of my boat I left 4 bags of aluminium cans (the have a trade in value, nearly £2 per kilo. I have about £50 quid on the roof.

I am amazed by the response of people who compliment me and say its a never ending job. So I suggest they could help. Not our job they say. Then they get all sheepish when I tell them I am on holiday from Oxford.

32/337

4 comments:

MortimerBones said...

How does it compare to when you were there last yeat?

Dave said...

We went down here a couple of years back in a hire boat and it was just the same. Narrowly missed a fridge and lots of other large junk but managed to retrieve a large mooring buoy which is now in use elsewhere.

You might soon make some more money (if the council gets its act together)

see http://www.expressandstar.com/business/uk-money/2013/12/04/rewards-for-dog-mess-whistleblowers/

Ann nb Oakfield said...

Well done again to you, pass go and collect your £50 reward!
Northbrook Lock maybe the 'place to be' but not in this windy weather. There are very tall ivy-clad trees leaning over the canal with their roots undermined by Badger sets.
The other chimney is on Bones boat!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.