Friday, 3 January 2014

The silent killer

One of the dangers of living on a boat is the possibility of carbon monoxide (CO) leaking into the cabin from the stove and causing death. CO is odourless, colourless and invisible. When it comes you never know. Often symptoms are passed off as food poisoning, with the whole family feeling the effects. Whenever someone dies from CO poisoning it is sad, but more so when the deceased is known to you.

I first met Spike a few years ago in Thrupp. and have met up with him many times since. His Staffie, Millie, was a real charmer. His boat, Samara, would never win any prizes, but then neither would mine.. Spike was to me an affable chap who didn’t seem to be one for the rules, but he was friendly and a bit of a character. His body was found by some neighbours yesterday morning on the tramway moorings in Banbury.

It is thought that Spike died from CO poisoning.  We will find out at the post mortem. I have no reason to believe that Spike did not own a CO detector, but then I have no reason to believe he did. Many boaters don’t have a CO detector, this is borne out by continual roll of CO deaths within the boating community. It is not large, but it is persistent.

Anyone not having a CO detector would be wise to get one. They can be purchased from any of the DIY sheds around the country.

Stay safe!

2 comments:

James and Debbie said...

Sad news Maffi. Argos sells co monitors as well, quite often on sale. Ours (one of two) was half price. All the best.

Quaysider said...

Sad news indeed. I'd like to reiterate the importance of CO monitors having been " " this close to the grim reaper last summer... been using a camping gas heater in tents for years... new tent (ergo less ventilation) found my other half collapsed on the floor convulsing and on the drive to hospital, i passed out at the wheel (ambulances were striking and would take 1 hour so in my panic I thought I'd get us there quicker)... luckily, 48 hours being blasted with hi pressure oxygen and the trip to hull for decompression chamber treatment was avoided. WE now have several at monitors at home AND in the camping gear.