Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Too near the top!

Today I set off from Brum on my way south. I was just passing Gas Street Basin when I caught something around my propeller. As usual a 20 minute stop to remove a knot of plastic bags. A relatively uneventful trip to the visitor moorings at Bourneville where I stopped for lunch then decided to clear up the grass area behind the moorings. By the time I had finished I had filled a one ton builders bag Which happened to be lying around. I phoned CRT to arrange a collection (it is a CRT area) because I couldn't get the bag on my roof.

I set off and hadn’t gone 100 yards when I caught something around the propeller again! This time it was a dressing gown belt plastic bags and a 12 foot cargo strap complete with the hook.  It was so tightly wrapped around the prop I had to disconnect the drive and move the prop back to loosen the strap which then came off easily.

I hadn’t gone a hundred yards when I picked up something else there being no rings where I stopped I pulled the boat back to where I had been. There I took a car inner tube off the prop. Bored now!

About another mile or so along the canal the boat tracked over to the right and despite my best efforts hit the bank. I reversed away several times before I was able to get back on track.  The water there is very shallow despite being recently dredged. This is because the dredge is put up on the far bank And when it rains it gets washed back in the canal. CRT engineering at its best!!!

With a two foot draught I shouldn’t be lifting rubbish off the bottom or indeed touching the bottom, ever! Methinks the bottom needs to be lowered somewhat. And that somewhat needs to be closer to the original design spec.

2 comments:

Anne / Olly said...

And boaters here in the Netherlands ask us why we are not rushing to get back to the UK.

Anonymous said...

Good post however I was wanting to know if you could
write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very grateful
if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!


Here is my homepage ... vent cleaning techniques