Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Thrupp is a turn not a junction!

This is the view you get as you come south into Thrupp. You need to make a choice Left Right or Straight on. There is no left, straight on is a steel reinforced concrete curb over a foot deep, the only real option is to turn right, under the lift bridge. You would be surprised how many people go for the straight on option.DSCF1308I often ask people if they drive their car into concrete blocks. You can believe me when I say their response is “I didn’t know where to go”. My usual reply is, “Well you could stop”, and it is not all hire boaters, owners and sharers hit the end the most often.

This is called the Wide. To do this turn and not look like a nob you need to be in the middle and going slow. (I always think that lots of reverse will show who is not driving his boat properly). Remember the fish you have just past who are not expecting you to come back. There is a water point on your right and another half a mile away if you miss this one.

Don’t leave turning too late especially if there is a wind. What happens is if you leave it late your bow will shave a layer of concrete off the curb. If you leave it far too late you will take a sizable chunk out of the curb.  The curb will eventually collapse into the canal and the canal will make its way through Annie’s Tearoom which is about 5 feet below canal level. On a good day you could kill 50-60 people.

There are two reasons why you will hit the curb. You are travelling too fast and you are not driving the boat. Pay attention!

You need to moor to let your crew off to operate the bridge and you moor along the end rather than drive straight at it.

Please come to visit Thrupp it really is a fab place, but if you cant pay attention to what you are doing then stay away. The last thing we need is a high body count!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

We witnessed this exactly, in April Maffi.
Lisa
NB WaL

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this, i'm sure i've read this somewhere before Maffi! Paula

Maffi said...

I think I wrote something similar last year it doesn't hurt to re-iterate.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed many cups of tea in Annie's Tea Rooms but never given this scenario much thought. Until now. I hope I'll enjoy my next cup as much!

Alistair

Anonymous said...

I've been browsing on-line more than three hours as of late,
but I by no means discovered any interesting article like
yours. It is beautiful value sufficient for me.

In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the net can be much
more helpful than ever before.

Feel free to visit my web page; credit card debt

Ann nb Oakfield said...

Maybe it's time to put up a big arrow pointing right. Just for those who cannot see further than the end of their noses!