Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Cake trolls

It was a simple post to highlight a problem which got misinterpreted.and generated 130 replies most of which were from bullies about cake. Yes the cake trolls even made an unwanted appearance. (Cake trolls are people who cannot see that they are bullies.)

What I said was

If you refuse to punctuate your writing properly or use capitals in their correct place, then please do not be surprised if I misinterpret you.

Now unless someone has a problem with language, dyslexia, learning difficulties etc then I don’t see why I  or anyone should have to correct every thing we see before we read it. The whole point of having a common language is to make communication easy. To just slap any old crap down then blame predictive text is simply bad manners. Then to say it doesn’t matter anyway shows no respect for the reader by the writer and one has to wonder why they bothered in the first place. It’s amazing that some people can’t differentiate their/there/they’re know all the -ists and -isms on the planet.

I fully understand that some people have trouble writing, so why do they come to a written forum? Well they have an opinion of course, but then so do I. Why is their opinion more acceptable than mine?

When reading the New Statesman last week (James Clark’s column) I noticed the classic their/there error. No, correction, I didn’t notice it, it jumped up off the page and screamed, “Look at me! I know you can see me!“ Where the hell was the editor/spell checker/grammar checker. Who allowed this so blindingly obvious error? In your reality of course, it doesn’t matter, in my reality it matters a great deal. It was wrong and from such an esteemed publication as well. (Here I will pause for the trolls to poo poo my choice of reading materials).

I am never always right. I do make a great effort to be as correct as I can, but I am unfortunately cursed with seeing the mistakes of others. Not just seeing them, but being in pain because of them. I don’t remember the last time I read a book and didn’t find glaring mistakes.

I didn’t ask for this ‘superpower’ to be laid upon me. Some would call it Pedantry, well if Pedantry is a mental condition then I am in deed a pedant. I wonder how many really understand what I just said in that last sentence?

I can no more not comment about mistakes I see than I can stop taking breath. The world is not filled with candy-floss and sweet smelling flowers and every one is not a cuddle bug. Were it so the world would be the most fucking boring place to be. If you think we should all be nice to each other then I will be nice to you, but you in return must be nice to me and that includes accepting my ‘condition’ and not rolling out the cake recipes to bully me.

5 comments:

eeyore said...

My brother, a printer, proof read for "The Notting Hill Press" and said that there is usually a misprint in any publication. Annoyingly, he sat at a Chelsea game and read the programme cover to cover before the match, finding two "printing" errors. It is because we all make mistakes that we don't know how to spell William Shakespeare's name! Is it Shakspeare, Shakespere,Shakespear, Shackspeare? And my name can be Brabrook, Braybrooke, Braybroke, Brabrooke. What is most important is that the messages are understood. I am with you on that one. Usually context will tell you which their/there is intended. We all do our best.

Henhouse said...

Well said Maffi.

Bad grammar, text speak, and use of the wrong their / there / there're etc annoys me too.

I can forgive those with reading difficulties. However the more common reason for it is laziness and poor education.
I'm a pedant too, and proud of it.

Marilyn McDonald said...

I think a number of people don't do their best when writing - the text language of abbreviations has just validated the lack of care that some people take when writing. I agree with Maffi - I find it annoying to have to read something twice or three times to identify what the writer intended. There is one member of a narrowboating forum whose entries I have given up trying to read for this reason.
One of my pet hates, by the way, is the misuse of its and it's, the latter is NOT the possessive, it goes with his and her - i.e. no apostrophe. Rant over - for now ... Cheers, Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Pedantz rool!!

(Tongue in cheek, as I know you'll geddit eh? lol)
SL

Carol said...

Hi Maffi,
I thoroughly agree, those ‘mistakes’ jump out of a sentence as if they were highlighted - all the ones you and the commentators above mention and especially 'your/you’re’!
There are obviously more pedants out there than we realise!
Best wishes
xx