Thursday, 16 October 2014

Thursday already!

Good ‘eavens is that the time? I have never been to Dorchester before, so this morning I set off with Molly across the fields. Kinda wish I hadn’t my hips were giving me grief when we got back.

When we cast off I noticed that the river is not as wide as it should be. In some places although the banks are far enough apart the trees reduce the distance to less than thirty feet in some places.

As you head to Shillingford there is a right hand bend outside a big posh house/hotel, as you go around the corner there is a red buoy in the middle of the river. Now when I came this way first 8 years ago I remember a tree had just fallen down. The tree has now gone but the silt bank built up behind it is still a hazard to navigation. Why do the EA not dredge this? And its not just this one instance there are several, all of which will cause the silt to build up behind it and in turn become a navigation hazard.

Every fallen tree will have an adverse effect on the water flow and when people are up to their armpits in water is not the time to try fixing it.

ACTION is need now!

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I think the EA and CRT can be summed up by the saying 'When you're up to your arse in crocodiles it's difficult to remember that you should be clearing the swamp'.
It'll probably take someone being maimed/killed by a collapsing bridge, have their boat sunk and/or drown as a result of a failed paddle/gate (you get the idea), to make them realise they could end up in court paying a vast amount in compensation.
I wonder if anyone from their respective Health and Safety departments reads this blog?