Tuesday, 4 November 2014

History

During the last week I went to see the Poppies in the Tower of London. I was not very impressed. Oh its not the poppies but the organisation. The public were not allowed in one section because, “We are trying to set up a one way system.” They failed. The exhibit has been open a few weeks now, I would have thought it would have been sorted by this stage of the game.

I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of policemen present who were not really helping. Would have thought that there were more important things the police could be doing like catching criminals or stopping Jihadists getting back into the country, but no marshalling poppy watchers was the days order! They can be tricky them poppy watchers.

I found the Merchant Navy Memorial, which is on the other side of the road, far more interesting. The irreverance of screaming kids and mothers was a bit of a put off, but I survived.

Later in the week I went to Parliament Square where the Occupy protesters were protesting the week before. This week its all fenced off and no protests allowed. So much for democracy.

DSCF1895

St James Square is where Yvonne Fletcher was shot outside the Libyan Embassy. Can you believe it was thirty years ago DSCF1946 I then walked up to the Bomber Command Memorial in Green Park.
DSCF1953DSCF1949If you want to go get the tube to Hyde Park and walk through the Wellington Memorial Arch. Or go to Green Park Stn and turn right as you come up the ramp into the park.

This is the Australian Memorial. I had never heard of it. Its on the same square as Wellington. The wall contains a long list of place names. DSCF1955 The main  places are made by making some letters a slightly different white.DSCF1956 Then after all that history some of mine. I used to hang around there in the sixties when I worked in that part of London. Its not the same.

DSCF1971

There could have been lots of stars of today there but I wouldn’t have known. In the sixties I would have seen them from the other end of the street.

No comments: