Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Lock wheeling PAH!

What is the point of lock wheeling? It is selfish, the proponents arrogant, and it throws everyone else into disarray. Why ride a bicycle at 10 mph to the next lock when your boat is still in the last lock or the one before that and will be lucky to make 3 mph.

Last November I arrived at Dudswell Lock (48) two down from Cow Roast (46). I tied up below and walked up to set the lock. There by the lock was a lady who had set the lock for her partners boat who was, se said, in the next lock (47). He was an American. Now I know Americans can be good boaters, but this guy must have Dumb or Dumber!

Twenty five minutes I waited for Mr America to do a lock and travel the 150 yards to where I waited. In that Twenty five minutes two or three other boats could have gone up that lock. On arrival he crashed his way in like he had never entered a lock before. When they exited the lock they went down the canal like a bat out of hell. NFN!

I would suggest that setting one lock while a boat is still in another lock is unbelievably inconsiderate. Yes you may be in a hurry, but  why should I loose twenty five minutes of my time? If you cant give back time you have stolen from me then don’t take it. THINK!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tramper said...

Quite agree with you but am amazed you did not risk a rift in Anglo American relations by turning the lock on him. I know I would have done.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maffi said...

Well the lady was an Italian. And you have to give the benefit of the doubt for the first ten minutes or so an then she was on the phone and saying he was just coming. It is some time before you realise that he wasn't even in lock 47 when you arrived but probably the one before that 46.

I don't know how some people have so much cheek.