Tuesday, 16 June 2015

All goes to plan

I arrived in Bradford on Avon at the allotted time after a very slow cruise up the canal. I took the boat into the lock so I could take the dingy off (the roof is low on the dock). As I entered the dock I laid the chimock down and took my bike off. We positioned the boat for the stands and Tim proceeded to let the water out.

With a now empty dock I was able to survey the hull for damage. Considering I had done 20/25 miles of ice breaking over the last two years I was surprised to see that all that bull shit about ice damaging hulls was just that, bullshit!

Indeed the waterline was still coated with blacking. I now resolve to stick two fingers up at any tee-wat that complains about me taking their blacking off.

However this is slightly disconcerting. Can you see what is missing?

DSCF3454

13 comments:

Neil Corbett said...

Gosh Maffi! You could have been up s--t creek without a ............. Propellor.
Kah (nab Herbie)

Anonymous said...

A node?

Anonymous said...

Yer lost ya nut Maffi???

Chris

KevinTOO said...

Good grief... that could have been annoying if lost...
Lady luck is obviously on your side this time Maffi :)

JohnO said...

Perhaps a split pin through the but and thread next time;-)

Carol said...

Piggin’ ‘el!!

Maffi said...

Although this could have been very expensive I have never removed the nut, never had a need to. The prop was installed at the builders in 20006. I know it was there the last time I blacked the boat. So it could have gone any time since.

Quite right Carol Piggin' 'ell!

Rose said...

You were indeed very lucky Maffi. This happened to us , and we lost the prop in a lock. £1000 bill, as it has to come out the water obviously to fix it. We were told it was likely the prop had been fitted with a chrome nut, which apparently erodes after about eight years.... Roughly how long yours was on.

Regards Rose

Maffi said...

2006 it went on Rose. Did you get the prop out of the lock?

MortimerBones said...

thank goodness it didn't come off!

Halfie said...

Is it a Vetus? If it is make sure the washer is knocked down over the flats of the nut. To have had a Vetus prop come off twice was an interesting experience, but not one I wish to repeat.

http://jhalfie.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/to-lose-one-propeller-could-be-seen-as.html

Rose said...

No Maffi.... Husband tried but it was too muddy it was Glascote bottom lock.... So if you fancy a swim by the Tamworth side gates of bottom lock, that's probably where it still is. Luckily right by Hudsons, though had to wait 2 days till he could get us in the dock. It happened in the first hour of our three week holiday..... Another month we would have been going in the dry dock, so might have been as lucky as you were!
Regards Rose

Oakie said...

A mate of mine found that he had no drive one morning, so had a look down the weed hatch. The propeller was lying horizontally on the skeg!