Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Drifters & Duty

On my way to Devizes, after the last swing bridge, I came across this boat schlept across the canal. It took me and a ‘civilian’ over half an hour to get it moored up again. I find it annoying that people don’t have proper ropes for their boat. I had to remove the stern rope and tie it to the center line so I could take it ashore and we then pulled it in and re-pinned it. I am miffed that the widebeam I had passed earlier. Either he was going to fast when he passed this boat and pulled the pins out or he just pushed it out of the way without tying it up again.

Whenever we see a boat adrift it is our duty to ensure it is properly moored before we continue on our journey.
DSCF3336

3 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser http://nbharnser.blogspot.com said...

I couldn't agree more. My pins were pulled the other week, I wasn't surprised the bank was like sponge. What did miff me was the boat who pulled them, and my stern swung out towards him as he passed, so he knew just carried on regardless.

John said...

I suggest, if you know the bank is like a sponge that YOU do something differently. It's a pain having to tie boats up for people who can't do it properly.

Anonymous said...

Much of the tow-path bank has been ripped out along the K&A Canal by boaters pinning to close to the water.
nb Oakfield