Wednesday, 24 November 2010

What's in a name?

Maffi, its Maffi not Matty or Maffay. It isn't that awkward to understand or say for that matter, Ma'fi. In this instance it is used as a pronoun. It’s Arabic and is usually coupled with moushkila as in Maffi moushkila. It means No Problem. It’s not my given name, but it is a name that I have picked up and a name I like. Often people are uncomfortable with Maffi and it can take a while for them to be easy with it. I know when that is. My tutor Tom didn’t seem very comfortable with it at first but now he even slips the ‘i’ and calls me Maff, as do many of the people I have met since joining College, but I am not sure I like being the abbreviation for Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food. There are one or two who insist on still calling me by my given name and my return is usually “you're not my mother” who is, it seems, one of the few who now use it.

3 comments:

Jaqueline Almdale said...

I know just how you feel Maffi.Here in the States everyone wants to give you a nickname. My given name is Jaqueline and I happen to think it is a lovely name, but people always want to shorten it to "Jackie," which makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Only my family of origin calls me that--which is why it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! To accommodate folks who must shorten my name I am called Jaq--pronounced "Jack." Thanks for sharing the origin of your name Maffi--it's lovely.
Jaq USA

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your boat safety fail. Try buying a bubble tester and putting it in line on your gas of course. This simple little device will tell you if you have a gas leak. Now some people say they are crap others say they are better than that, i think i would rather know if i had a gas leak so i fitted one. Good luck with retest TONY @ JACKIE

Anonymous said...

ps if you need to talk to me about the said tester give us a call dave parry or oxford nb has my number lol tony