Sunday, 28 October 2012

Busy, busy, busy.

Saturday, what a day!  I had a slow start this morning in Banbury. Completing a few little jobs around the boat. I sent a text to the Wrens enquiring when they would be setting off for the northern reaches of Cropredy (Broadmoor). ‘

“Soon,” was the reply, “When Joy gets back from shopping”.

“Can I catch a lift,” says I. (to meet up with Bones)

“Of course”

So sometime before noon I set off with Molly to walk to the main road bridge (we were on opposite sides of the canal). Chris cast off and followed. I got to the bridge well before Chris and waited for him to arrive. Me and Molly (yes I know) stepped on to the boat on the straight under the bridge and we were on our way. It took no time at all to make our way along the canal. Bones had sent a text that she was watering up and then about 12.40 another saying she was at Slat Mill Lock.

Those of you who are regular readers may remember when we were down on the K&A (2007). After heading off to visit a friend in Surrey Bones found herself, on her way back home, diverting to Theale on the K&A and cadging a lift on a boat in my direction. There was a wonderful recognition moment as I realised who was on the boat heading my way.

As we approached Slat Mill Lock Bones was coming out of the lock. I sent a simple text: ‘Remember the K&A’. I would like to think she was pleased to see me. I was, of course, on hand to take the boat down the next two locks. It was a fun day and bought back fond memories. Molly and Boots were very pleased to see each other.

We stopped behind my boat in Banbury for her to collect somethings and to have a cuppa before she set off south. Alec, a friend was following, he too needed tea and moored in front of me. When all the flapping of gums was over and time came to set off. I walked to the lift bridge and let them both through. There was a boat going down the lock and another waiting to come up. After that it was time for Bones to go down, by which time yet another was waiting to come up. While waiting for her to lock through another boat came under the lift bridge. By the time I left the lock we had locked seven boats up and down.

When they were all gone I took Molly home and went off to buy sand paper (of which more later)  I popped into Tooley’s on the way, had a cuppa. I ordered an oil filter because I think the oil should be changed before I get much further. I had a Maccie D. Surprisingly enough I am still alive. My thumb is almost pain free which is a good thing, but my leg is very tired. That will teach me to be busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was
super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote
and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am
an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for beginner blog writers? I'd certainly
appreciate it.
My page - Please visit my site